1800 E Florida Ave #340

Hemet, CA 92544

(951) 925-6444

Call our Office

General Dentistry

General dentistry is the practice of preventing, identifying, diagnosing, and treating disorders that affect the oral cavity and surrounding structures. General dentists hold either a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree and have extensive knowledge about oral health and the various disorders that can affect it. Your Hemet General Dentist Dr. Formica provides preventative, restorative, and cosmetic dental procedures to maintain, restore, or improve your smile. 

 

 

Did You Know?

Brushing your teeth only removes plaque from 60% of their surface. The other 40% of dental plaque is removed by flossing. Since there are 300 types of bacteria that reside in dental plaque that are directly responsible for causing tooth decay and gum disease, brushing and flossing are both highly important for maintaining dental health. 

Frequently Asked Questions:

Am I a Candidate for General Dentistry?

Yes! General dentistry is essential for everyone, no matter their age or current dental health. In fact, the American Dental Association recommends visiting your Hemet general dentist at least once every six months for a dental cleaning and consultation. Depending on your oral health, more frequent visits may be recommended. Regularly seeing a general dentist helps to preserve your natural teeth for many years to come. How long has it been since your last visit to the dentist? If it has been longer than six months, schedule a consultation at the Hemet dental office of Dr. Formica. 

What should I expect when receiving general dentistry from Dr. Formica’s Hemet dental practice?

A general dental appointment is often composed of three parts: dental x-rays, an oral exam, and a professional dental cleaning. 

Dental X-Rays

dental xray

More often than not, your dental appointment will likely begin with dental x-rays of the outside and inside of your mouth. During a dental x-ray, you will simply need to remain still while images are taken of your teeth and jawbones. For some of the images inside your mouth, you may be asked to bite down on a box wrapped in plastic that is placed at varying locations in your mouth. Dental x-rays are safe, painless, and only take a few minutes. 

Oral Exam

After having dental x-rays taken, Dr. Formica will evaluate these x-rays as well as your gums, teeth, and bite. He will check your teeth for signs of decay, damage, or premature wear. Your gum pockets will be measured and evaluated for signs of gum disease. The alignment and function of your bite will also be checked. During your dental consultation, Dr. Formica will ask if you have any dental concerns or questions. He will likely also ask you about your medical history and list of current medications. 

Dental Cleaning

teeth cleaning

The final part of your dental appointment is a dental cleaning. Dental cleanings, also known as teeth cleanings, are essential preventative dental treatments that remove excess plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth. Removing plaque and tartar eliminates a place for harmful bacteria to reside and makes it harder for bacteria to attach to the surface of your teeth. As a result, your chances of developing gum disease and tooth decay are significantly decreased by regular dental cleanings. 

What should I expect after receiving general dentistry from Dr. Formica’s Hemet dental practice?

Your expectations following your dental appointment will depend upon whether or not Dr. Formica identified possible dental issues. If you are in good oral health, you will simply schedule your next appointment for six months. If you are at risk of developing dental issues, Dr. Formica may provide you with a specialized home oral care plan. If a dental issue has been identified, restorative dental treatment may be recommended. In some cases, restorative treatment can be completed in the same appointment, while other cases may require you to schedule another appointment at a later date. 

Skip to content